Prospects of Yoon's formal meeting with Xi uncertain: Yoon's office
简介While time is running out, there are still no clear prospects of a formal meeting between President ...
While time is running out, there are still no clear prospects of a formal meeting between President Yoon Suk Yeol and Chinese President Xi Jinping.
"We have a day left (before departing from the United States) and discussions (over an arrangement of the Yoon-Xi meeting) are ongoing," a presidential official told reporters on condition of anonymity Thursday.
"We cannot guarantee that the meeting of the two leaders would actually happen due to the leaders' packed schedules."
There were speculations that Yoon might hold talks with Xi during their time in San Francisco, California, for the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation leaders' week. Should the meeting take place, it would be the two leaders' first meeting in a year.
Xi is in the US for the first time in six years, and held a summit with US President Joe Biden on Wednesday.
On Thursday, Xi and Japanese Prime Minister Fumio Kishida held face-to-face talks to mend strained ties largely due to China's ban on Japanese seafood after Japan started disposing of treated water from a crippled nuclear power plant in northeastern Japan.
"From China's perspective, they should prioritize Xi's summit with Biden, and afterward, use the remaining time available for them as efficiently as possible," the official said.
"The matter of Korea-China talks is separate from (Xi's) talks with leaders of the US and Japan. We are ahead of the strategic decision to determine whether it would be beneficial for the two leaders to hold talks (in San Francisco) and return home."
Yoon on Wednesday had a three-minute encounter with Xi, just before the APEC formal session began.
When asked whether Yoon brought up the matter of military ties between Russia and North Korea during the encounter, the official said, "Our diplomacy treats the issue separately from China-related issues." Seoul's Foreign Minister Park Jin last week expressed hopes that Xi could play a constructive role in intervening in arms deals between Russia and North Korea.
Seoul is planning to host a trilateral summit of South Korea, China and Japan before the year's end. Separately, Yoon's office announced in September that Seoul is working to invite Xi to Korea.
LS Materials, a South Korean energy storage device manufacturer, said on Tuesday the firm will furth ...
When Ji-won Yeo took to the stage in the title role for Bellini's opera "Norma" on Oct. 26, she ...
홍준표 대구시장이 지난달 30일 오후 서울 여의도 국회 의원회관에서 열린 '국민의힘-대구광역시 예산정책협의회'에서 모두발언을 하고 있다. 뉴스1국민의힘이 경기도 김포시의 서울 편입 ...
- [Our Museums] Explore cinematic treasures at Korean Film Museum
- Shinhan to bet big on insurance tech startup
- Kakao Bank to acquire 10% stake in Indonesian digital bank
- 낙후된 골목시장 누비며 “화곡을 마곡으로 만들 것”
- 김건희 여사, 광주디자인비엔날레 찾아 “문화예술계 육성 의지”
- [Herald Interview] Singer
- HIT forum on space to be held in Seoul
- Jungkook of BTS to hold fan showcase on Nov. 20
- 예술의전당 간 한동훈 화제 되자…野 "집에 스피커 두고 왜 가나"
- 김건희 여사, 광주디자인비엔날레 찾아 “문화예술계 육성 의지”
- 28th BIFF comes to an end
- “北, 무단철거 금강산 골프장서 옥수수 건조”
- [Herald Interview] Indonesia's Aladin Bank CEO eyes digital banking partnerships with Korea
- Seoul shares end higher on tech gains, Fed comments
- 野 “與 보선 참패 후 이재명 전광석화 기소…국민 심판받을 것”
- New US special envoy for N. Korean human rights issues takes office, plans to visit Seoul next week
- [Exclusive] 'Game of Thrones' publisher inks deal for Korean books for first time
- UAE President's Seoul visit postponed amid Middle East tensions
- S Korea, UAE agree to increase bilateral flight ceiling to 21 per week
- Election watchdog faces calls to apologize after failing security test
- 한 경기도 안 뛰고 병역 면제?…국감 오른 아시안게임 '병특'
- Igis launches $100m secondary fund for overseas investment
- Le Sserafim to release first English single 'Perfect Night'
- Korean economy expected to grow by 2.1% in 2024: Hana Institute
- S. Korea has 'no urgency' to cut key lending rate soon: IMF director
- PM visits Greece for talks on cooperation, World Expo bid campaign
- KT & G to build new tobacco plant in Kazakhstan
- [Herald Interview] Samuel Youn celebrates career in ‘From Darkness to Light’
- Political parties call for revision of military exemptions for athletes
- N. Korea sent more than 1,000 containers of military equipment, munitions to Russia: White House